Shorter Question Everything
• @LOLGOP: If your argument is “What about the kids?” and you mean White House tours and not the 600,000 about to be cut from WIC, cancel basic cable.
• Shocking New Evidence Reveals Depths of ‘Treason’ and ‘Treachery’ of Watergate and Iran-Contra
• Afghan leader alleges US, Taliban are colluding: Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Sunday accused the Taliban and the U.S. of working in concert to convince Afghans that violence will worsen if most foreign troops leave — an allegation the top American commander in Afghanistan rejected as “categorically false.” Karzai said two suicide bombings that killed 19 people on Saturday — one outside the Afghan Defense Ministry and the other near a police checkpoint in eastern Khost province — show the insurgent group is conducting attacks to demonstrate that international forces will still be needed to keep the peace after their current combat mission ends in 2014. “The explosions in Kabul and Khost yesterday showed that they are at the service of America and at the service of this phrase: 2014. They are trying to frighten us into thinking that if the foreigners are not in Afghanistan, we would be facing these sorts of incidents,” he said during a nationally televised speech about the state of Afghan women. Karzai raised another difficult issue when he denounced the alleged seizure of a university student Saturday by Afghan forces his aide said were working for the CIA. It was unclear why the student was detained. The CIA declined to comment.
• A news conference scheduled for Afghan President Hamid Karzai and US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel has been cancelled over security concerns in the war-torn Afghanistan, US officials say. No further information was provided by the American officials with regard to the cancellation of the joint news conference on Sunday.
• Ashley Judd, the 44-year-old actress and social activist, has told key advisers and political figures that she is planning to announce her candidacy for U.S. Senate here this spring.
• With an Ashley Judd Senate run increasingly looking like a possibility, Rep. John Yarmuth, D-Ky., says his colleague Sen. Mitch McConnell appears to be panicked, if the amount of effort put into discrediting her is any indication.
• Aung San Suu Kyi has been selected to continue as head of Burma’s main opposition party, keeping her leadership post even as the party undergoes a makeover to adjust to the country’s new democratic framework.