Shorter Question Everything
• After effectively stonewalling the once bipartisan Violence Against Women Act in the last Congress, House Republicans are at it again. On Friday, the GOP countered a Senate version of VAWA that passed through the upper chamber with bipartisan support last week with their own far less inclusive bill that continues to block protections for LGBT domestic violence victims, Native Americans, and undocumented immigrants.
• 5 Reasons Why Looser Gun Laws Won’t Guarantee Women’s Safety
• The federal prosecution of five former employees of the private security firm Blackwater has crumbled after the defendants said they were acting at the behest of the CIA by providing five guns as gifts to King Abdullah II of Jordan.
• Italians began voting on Sunday in one of the most closely watched elections in years, with markets nervous about whether it will produce a strong government to pull Italy out of recession and help resolve the euro zone debt crisis.
• Men say their breast cancer was caused by contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that between 500,000 and 1 million people were exposed to the contaminated water from 1953 to 1987, when the last of several contaminated wells were closed. 83 other men who lived or served at Camp Lejeune who have also been diagnosed with male breast cancer.