Shorter Question Everything
If only there was a ‘good guy with a gun’ to prevent that carnage….oh wait…
• Gunman shoots three cops inside New Jersey police station: Three New Jersey police were shot Friday morning and a gunman was killed after the suspect, who was already under arrest, somehow managed to get his hands on a gun, according to published reports. The shootings happened inside the Gloucester Township police station early Friday morning. Police have not named the suspect, but a spokesperson that the individual was taken in earlier on charges relating to domestic violence, according to video taken by CBS Philadelphia from a hastily organized press conference.
• Craft store chain Hobby Lobby announced on Friday that it will ignore the ruling of U.S. courts and refuse to provide copay-free birth control access to its employees. It will do so despite whatever costs it may incur, even if they are higher than the cost of birth control itself. First… Plan B is not an ‘abortion-inducing’ drug, as Hobby Lobby claims, and second, that the company may well end up paying more to avoid covering contraception than they would simply providing access. It also takes a twisted view on the ‘Freedom of Religion’ argument; the company is actually forcing its owner’s religious beliefs on all employees, no matter their personal religious views.
• Mike Huckabee Says Gays Caused Newtown Shooting & Mental Health Problems Are Really Sins!: In the bizarro, alternate reality of the religious right, any American tragedy is caused by a wrathful god who is angry about American tolerance (such as it is) of gays. 9/11? Jerry Falwell blamed it on the gays! Katrina? John Hagee blamed it on the gays! And now that yet another mentally disturbed young American psychopath has used personal weapons of mass destruction to efficiently kill school children and their teachers, the religious right is blaming it on – no, not on American gun culture and the easy availability of weapons for those with mental health issues – but godless Americans and – wait for it – gays. As we know, Mike Huckabee is reluctant to discuss the role of guns and mental health in this tragedy, but he has been doing a lot of whining about godless Americans whom he also blamed for the Aurora shooting. And he has also “joined the looney gays caused Newtown” bandwagon. Are we suprised?
• Haaretz reports that Benjamin Netanyahu looks poised to appoint, Ron Dermer, the architect of his campaign season alliance with Mitt Romney as Israel’s new Ambassador to the United States.
• When the sleek, beautiful silhouette of Roskilde 6 appeared on the horizon, 1,000 years ago, it was very bad news. The ship was part of a fleet carrying an army of hungry, thirsty warriors, muscles toned by rowing and sailing across the North Sea; a war machine like nothing else in 11th-century Europe, its arrival meant disaster was imminent.