…no matter what distractions he puts out there…
The Obama team didn’t put that distraction out there. No matter how hard the Caterpillar King tries to twist this, Obama had nothing to do with the racist, stupid, “hate porn” created by the right wing. This is all you.
In an interview on CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley this morning, host Crowley asked RNC Chairman Reince Priebus about a widely-denounced proposal for a pro-Mitt Romney outside group to run millions of dollars in race-baiting attack ads highlighting controversial statement’s by President Obama’s former pastor.
Rather than denounce the proposal or the dangers of having a small group of rich outside donors and corporations free to spend as much as they want to influence elections, Priebus blamed Obama.
After lamenting that Romney and his party had to spend a day and a half dealing with the fallout from the Super PAC proposal, Priebus told Crowley:
I know how it works. It’s the Democrats and Barack Obama that want the story out there. He wants the story to play out in the media, because for every day that [Obama adviser] David Axelrod and this President don’t have to talk about their broken promises when it comes to jobs, the debt, and the deficit — the more time they can talk about hypotheticals that may or may not come true — is a day they want to win on. So, look, this president’s got a bigger problem and his problem is no matter what he puts out there, no matter what distractions he puts out there, he can’t change the truth and escape the reality of where we are in this American economy. And it’s no good.
[thinkprogress/Josh Israel/20 May 2012]
• When you consider how very publicly wrong Romney has proven to be – think Detroit and China/Chen, just to name a couple – you’d think he’d be more wary. Attacking the president right before a NATO meeting, regarding the military? That strikes me as beyond stupid.
• Rep. Pelosi, Showing the GOP’s Angry Children What Professionalism Looks Like
• Twenty-two states and the District of Columbia are backing Montana in its fight to prevent the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision from being used to strike down state laws restricting corporate campaign spending.
• UPDATE: CNN Confirms Nat’l Guard on ‘Stand-by’ in Chicago
• It really doesn’t take much imagination to realize that militarizing the police and outfitting them as if they are about to mount an assault on Fallujah (when they are really just manning a political protest) might lead them to adopt the attitude that they are at war against their fellow citizens.
• Vintage anti-JFK GOP Coloring Book from Early 60s
• Latino Organizations Call on U.S. Government to Recognize and Respect Venezuela’s Presidential Elections
NATO leaders launched Sunday the first phase of a US-led missile shield for Europe and sought to appease Russian anger over the system by renewing an invitation to cooperate. President Barack Obama and his allies declared an “interim capability” at a Chicago summit, putting a US warship carrying interceptors in the Mediterranean and a Turkey-based radar system under NATO command in a German base. The alliance insists that the shield is not aimed at Russia and aims to knock out missiles that could be launched by enemies such as Iran, but Moscow fears the system will also serve to neutralize its nuclear deterrent. [AFP/20 May 2012]
• Convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout may be sent to Russia under the European Council-backed Russian-U.S Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons, though it will require many talks from both sides on the ministerial level, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
• New Lockerbie inquiry rejected by PM as Abdelbaset al-Megrahi dies. Cameron says bombing case was properly conducted, but MP says there are ‘still so many unanswered questions’