Happy Mother’s Day!
Tamron Hall Kicks Tim Carney Off Her Show
• Even Tony Perkins Thinks Rand Paul’s Anti-Gay Joke Was Unacceptable: Speaking at a Christian conservative group in Iowa on Friday, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) made an anti-gay joke at President Obama’s expense: “Call me cynical, but I wasn’t sure his views on marriage could get any gayer.” On Face the Nation this morning, anti-gay activist Tony Perkins was asked to comment on Paul’s joke, and he practically leaped out of his skin to distance himself from the senator:
I don’t think it’s a laughing matter. I don’t think this is something we should joke about. Ah, we’re talking about individuals who feel very strongly one way or the other, and I think we should be civil, respectful, allowing all sides to have the debate…but I think this is not something to laugh about, to poke fun of other people about.
…Tony Perkins is the president of the Family Research Council which was labeled as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. [thinkprogress/Ian Millhiser/13 May 2012]
• Mitt Romney decided to double down on his opposition to gay marriage during his commencement address at Liberty University this Saturday.
• Last week, another 17-year-old gay boy, Corey Jay Jonestrader, committed suicide in Rochester, Minnesota after experiencing extensive bullying.
• And afterwards, when I’m sitting in Vernon’s office, all I could think about was Larry’s father and Larry having to go home and explain what happened to him. And the humiliation – the fucking humiliation he must have felt. It must have been unreal. I mean, how… how do you apologize for something like that? There’s no way.
• Shades of 2000: Is Florida Going to Purge 180,000 Hispanic Voters?: Anyone who closely followed the 2000 presidential election fiasco in Florida remembers that one of the key reasons that George W. Bush “won” the state was the fact that thousands of black voters were falsely purged from the voter rolls in advance of the election, preventing those Floridians from voting, most of whom would’ve voted for Al Gore. In 2012, Republicans are looking at purging 180,000 Hispanics from the voting rolls. Is history repeating itself? [crooksandliars/Kenneth Quinnell/14 May 2012]
• War Crimes Conviction – Malaysian Tribunal Finds Bush et al Guilty: A tribunal convened in Kuala Lumpur found George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and five administration attorneys – Gonzales, Yoo, Bybee, Addington and Haynes – guilty of war crimes yesterday. [firedoglake/Siun/13 May 2012]
• What We Learn from Mitt Romney’s Disgusting Teenage Bullying